division header
print: PDF
Text Size: A | A | A

Admission Requirements


Overseas Deadlines

Transfer Deadlines
June 15
Aug. 19 - Dec. 13
Nov. 15
Jan. 21 - May 16
June 2 - July 25

*There are no overseas summer admissions because the residence halls are closed.

New International Student from Overseas

Transfers from within the U.S.

Guest Student from another U.S. college university

Permanent Resident Alien

Butler invites and welcomes all international students. To be considered for admission to Butler, international students must have graduated from the equivalent of a U.S. high school (12 years of education) and submit the following documents. *For new students coming from overseas all of items #1-7 must be on file at Butler before an I-20 will be issued. (Overseas admission deadlines are: Fall semester - June 15, Spring semester-November 15. ) *For transfer students all of items #1-8 must be on file at Butler before a transfer I-20 will be issued. (Transfer deadlines are always 7 days before the first day of class. )

1. Application for Admission: This is available from the Butler International Advising Office, this website, or the Office of Admissions. Please be sure to include your foreign address under "permanent address" and include your country of birth and country of citizenship.

2. Processing Fee: Butler requires a $75.00 admission fee for all international admissions. This fee does not apply to guest students who take classes at Butler without transferring. The $75.00 fee must be received before a student's documents can be processed and an I-20 issued from Butler. Please note: The $75.00 fee is non-refundable.

3. Academic Transcripts (secondary school and university level): Official copies of academic records for all course work completed in secondary schools, colleges and universities within and outside the U.S. must be submitted (faxed copies are acceptable). All documents must have English translations. Make sure your full name is on each document. All records become Butler property and will not be returned. Records should give detailed information including courses studied and grades earned. The grading scale and number of course hours attempted should be noted when possible. Transcripts from U.S. institutions should be sent in a sealed envelope directly from the institution to Butler's Registrar Office. Students who wish to have foreign coursework accepted for credit at Butler, must have their foreign credits evaluated by an accredited, independent agency such as World Education Services (www.wes.org), Educational Perspectives (www.educational-perspectives.org), or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (www.ece.org).

4. Financial Support Letter: A hand-signed letter or statement from the student's sponsor verifying financial support. The statement must be in English and the student's name must be included in the statement. This letter must be dated within six months of the start of classes.

5. Bank Statement: A certified bank statement dated within six months of the start of classes showing the equivalent of $18,106.00 USD. This verifies that the sponsor has sufficient funds for sponsoring one year of study at Butler. This is the estimated, one year cost for tuition, books, fees, housing and living expenses for the 2013-2014 academic year.

6. English Proficiency: Students whose country's official language is not English OR whose secondary English grade AND overall grade point average is NOT a "C" or better from official English language countries must document their English proficiency in one of the following ways:

    a. A minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 61 (iBT,internet based). 173 (CBT, computer based) or 500 (PBT, written test) is required. Butler's institutional code for TOEFL is 6191. You must submit an official copy. http://www.ets.org

    b.A minimum IELTS ( International English Language Testing System) score of 5.0. http://www.ielts.org
    "IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations."

    c. A minimum PTE (Pearson Test of English) score of 50.

    d. Completion of the Advanced II level or higher at the Wichita State University's Intensive English Language Center (www.wichita.edu/ielc). Students must have grades of "C" or better in all classes.

    e. Academic credit of 12 hours or more from a U.S. college or university (or one year from a U.S. High School) with a 2.0 grade point average.

    STUDENT OVERSEAS should apply at least 60 days before the session begins.

7. SEVIS Fee: The U.S. government now requires the payment of a non-refundable $200 SEVIS fee for all international students before issuing a visa. This fee is paid to the U.S. government NOT Butler.   There are three methods of payment:

a. Electronically, by completing Form I-901, through the Internet (www.FMJfee.com) using a credit card. Print your receipt before you exit this website, as it will not be available after you exit.

b. Through the mail, by submitting Form I-901, together with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. (To obtain Form I-901, please contact the Butler International Office or go to www.ice.gov. )

c. Through Western Union. Please contact the Butler International office for details.

Submit the fee at least three business days before the scheduled visa interview either electronically or by mail to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security address listed on the Form I-901.

Students must bring a paper receipt (Form I-797) with them to the visa interview. This receipt can be printed off after internet payment or will be mailed to the student from the U.S. government. Although some embassies may be able to verify payment electronically, students are encouraged to bring paper receipts (Form I-797).

8. Transfers from within the U.S. : Transfer students must complete items #1-6 and have a "Transfer Request Form" from the previous school on file before the transfer deadline. No transfers will be accepted after the deadline. Transfer deadlines are always 7 days before the first day of class. Transfer deadlines: Fall 2013: 8/12/2013; Spring 2014: 1/14/2014; Summer 2014: 5/26/2014.

  • What is a "Transfer Request Form? This form verifies that the student is eligible for transfer. The form must be completed by an International Advisor from the previous school. Butler's transfer request forms are available from the Butler International Office.
  • What if I am Out of Status? You may request to have your previous school transfer your SEVIS record as needing reinstatement, OR you may request an initial entry I-20 from Butler, depart the U.S. and the reenter the U.S. on Butler's initial entry I-20 before the start of the semester. This reentry allows the student to become eligible to be a Butler student. (If the student's visa is expired, a new visa will need to be obtained before reentering the U.S. )
  • When is my transfer complete? Under U.S. law, transfer procedures are not completed until the student enrolls in classes and Butler registers this enrollment in SEVIS. The student must also sign their new transfer I-20 and present it to the International Advisor no later than 15 days after the start of the semester for the transfer to be completed.
9. TB Test Results before Enrollment:

A negative TB test obtained within the United States must be on file with Butler College Health Services before being authorized to enroll in classes. TB chest X-rays are valid for five years. The TB skin or blood test is currently valid for three years. [This expiration period is subject to change.] X-rays also require an annual sign and symptom review by College Health staff.

10. Medical Insurance: Medical Insurance is mandatory for Butler international students. Premiums are automatically billed to the student each semester and must be paid in full prior to the first day of class. No payment plan exist for medical insurance. For details about this insurance contact Student Assurance Services at (785) 748-0870 or (800) 520-9909.

11. Orientation Class: New international students and transfer students with less than 12 passed credit hours from a U.S. institution are required to enroll in a one-day orientation and college success course. This course is to be taken in the first eight week session following initial enrollment.

12. Placement Testing: There is a $15.00 fee for each placement test sitting.

  • a) Fundamentals of English, English Composition I and most math courses require a placement test before enrollment.
  • b) International Student Reading Requirements Guidelines (effective Fall 2005)
1. International students with a TOEFL Reading score of 15 (iBT) and below will take the ASSET or COMPASS Reading test for placement. Equivalent reading scores for other forms of TOEFL are: CBT, 17 and below; PBT, 50 and below.
2. International students entering Butler from Wichita State University-Intensive English Language Center's Advanced Level II will provide either a TOEFL (official or institutional) OR take the ASSET or COMPASS Reading test, if they have not taken the TOEFL.
  • a. If providing the TOEFL, the student will then follow the same placement guidelines for ASSET testing.
  • b. If applying for admission below the Advanced II Level, a TOEFL is required.
3.International students submitting an IELTS or PTE score must also take the ASSET/COMPASS reading.
4. Concurrent enrollment in RD 012 and Fundamentals of English or English Composition 1is allowed. The student may retest at the end of the semester for new placement.
5. Any international student without a TOEFL score must take the ASSET or COMPASS Reading test for placement.
6. International students with a TOEFL Reading score of 16 or above will take the ASSET Writing Sample.
7. Permanent residents are subject to the same reading requirements as domestic students.

13. Guest Students: Guest students may enroll at Butler for a maxium of 11 credit hours. Please check the course descriptions in the Butler catalog to see if the courses you want need prerequisites. Courses previously taken at other U.S. institutions that meet these prerequisites must be submitted to the Butler Registar with an official transcript prior to enrolling. Guest students must submit all three of the following documents each semester before enrollment in any courses.

a) TB Test Results before enrollment: See number 7.

b) Guest Letter: A letter of permission to enroll at Butler from the school indicated on the current student's I-20.

c) $25.00 Guest Fee: This fee must be paid at the time of enrollment for each semester. Please note: This $25.00 fee is non-refundable.

14. International Student Tuition and Fees: All international students attending Butler on any nonimmigrant visa are subject to international student tuition and fee rates.
15. Permanent Resident Aliens: A student with permanent residence approval by the U.S. government may establish Kansas residency in the same manner as described under the General Admissions section of the Butler Catalog. In addition, he/she must present their resident alien card (green card) to an International Advisor for documentation at the first time of enrollment.