LPN to RN (Advanced Standing)
Advance your career.
If you are a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) who wants to step up the career ladder and become an RN, our Advanced Standing program is for you.
LPNs seeking admission to the associate degree nursing program must be admitted to Butler Community College and must also apply for admission to the Advanced Standing Associate Degree nursing program.
All application materials must be received in the Nursing Department before May 20th for the following spring semester and before December 20th for the following fall semester to guarantee consideration for admission.
Applicants must have a current LPN license in the State of Kansas that will be verified by the nursing program.
Applicants must submit proof of successful completion of a Kansas LPN IV certification course.
Applicants must submit official college transcripts showing completed prerequisites and copy of transcript of practical nursing education.
The following courses (24 college credit hours) must be completed successfully (with a grade of "C" or better; cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher) to be eligible for advanced standing:
|Anatomy & Physiology (taken within the last 5 years)||5 credits|
|English Composition 1||3 credits|
|General Psychology||3 credits|
|Math Requirements||3 credits|
|Developmental Psychology||3 credits|
|Therapeutic Nutrition||3 credits|
Based on the Nursing Education Articulation Plan for Kansas, there may be additional requirements:
- 0-5 years after Graduation from LPN school the applicant must have:
- Graduated from a Kansas LPN program (or an out of state NLN accredited LPN program) within the last five years. Credit will be evaluated individually for out-of-state applicants not from an NLN accredited program and
- Successfully completed the seven prerequisite classes listed above.
- More than 6 years After Graduation from LPN school
- Graduated from a Kansas LPN program (or an out of state NLN accredited LPN program) more than 6 years ago. Credit will be evaluated individually for out-of-state applicants not from an NLN accredited program and
- Successfully completed the seven prerequisite classes listed above and
- Provide documentation from his/her employer that a minimum of 1000 hours of nursing work experience was completed in the last three years.
Upon acceptance to the program, students are required to take NR108 Nursing Concepts for Advanced Standing, a 3 credit hour course. This class will be taken in the 8 weeks prior to beginning the third semester of nursing.
For additional information or questions please contact Sara Flora, Advanced Standing Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316.322.3189.
Admission Process for Advanced Standing for LPNs
Address all application materials to:
Carla Stephens, Advanced Standing Coordinator
Department of Nursing
Butler Community College
901 S. Haverhill Rd.
El Dorado, KS 67042
- Apply for Admission to the college.
- Submit official transcripts to registrar from other colleges, universities or schools attended.
- Fill out Application for Admission to the Nursing Program for Advanced Standing for LPNs and send to Butler’s nursing department.
- Ranking for Final Selection: Up to 16 third semester positions are dedicated to qualified Advanced Standing applicants each semester.
- Acknowledge Acceptance: If any of the first accepted group of students do not accept, or accept and withdraw prior to the beginning of class, the vacancy created will be offered to the next highest ranked applicant.
- Selected Student Responsibilities: Students must complete a specified background check, urine drug screen, physical examination including documentations of vaccinations and immunizations, health record, and degree check in the Office of the Registrar.
Applicants who are not selected for admission are asked to communicate in writing their desire to reapply for the next class to the Nursing Department prior to the May 20 and September 20 deadlines. Files of applicants who do not communicate their desire to reapply will be deleted.