The dress code for Butler nursing students is based on policies of health care institutions used for clinical experiences.
- Students may not wear a Butler Community College name pin, patch, lab coat or uniform when employed by a health care agency.
- Purple scrub pants, purple top, and purple lab coat (available in college bookstore), are worn while giving patient care. A plain white t-shirt (short sleeve or long sleeve) may be worn under nursing uniform. Colored shirts and other types of jackets, including sweatshirts and hooded jackets are not permitted while providing patient care.
- The Butler Community College school identification patch must be purchased in the campus bookstore. The patch is to be worn on the left upper arm of the white top and purple lab coat. The Butler picture ID (obtained in the Hubbard Center) must be worn with the uniform or lab coat any time the student is in the clinical setting. Clean, professional looking leather or synthetic
- closed toed shoes (not canvas) are to be worn.
- Purple lab coats with school patch, uniform and name tag must be worn when getting clinical assignments. Student uniform includes appropriate equipment for the clinical site i.e. watch with second hand, stethoscope, black ink pen, pen light, Butler Nursing picture ID tag. Students are expected to be responsible for maintaining a clean, neat appearance.
- Hair, beards, and sideburns must be neatly groomed, clean and present a professional appearance. Hair color should be limited to that which appears natural, not extreme or neon colored. Excessive use of cosmetics, fragrances and other accessories will be avoided. Facial jewelry, such as eye, nose, lip or tongue jewelry is prohibited. Tattoos must be covered according to the agency policy. Gauges must have flesh colored covers. Artificial nails and nail polish in the clinical and food preparation setting are prohibited as outlined in the Infection Control policy.
- Adjustments to the uniform policy may be made according to the clinical site. Students may not wear a Butler Community College name pin, patch, lab coat or uniform when employed by a health care agency.