Student success in college is dependent upon full participation in class activities. Because classroom activities are intended to help students learn, it is expected that students will attend all class meetings and activities. Students are expected to be on time for each session and/or log in regularly, have the required textbook and materials, and make satisfactory progress in the class. If students must be absent, they should make arrangements in advance with their instructors, if at all possible. Students are responsible for notifying instructors of any absence.
College Attendance Policy
Students are expected to attend all scheduled class and examination meetings. Students are also expected to maintain satisfactory progress in each of the classes in which they are enrolled. Thus, whenever absences become excessive and, in the instructor‘s opinion, minimum course objectives cannot be met due to absences, the student may, at the discretion of the instructor, be withdrawn from the course. If a student is withdrawn by the instructor for excessive absences, a grade of "WT" (withdrawn by teacher) will be recorded on his/her permanent record. Instructors are responsible for clearly stating their attendance policy and administrative drop policy in the course syllabus, and it is the student‘s responsibility to be aware of those policies.
- All instructors will maintain attendance as required for reporting. Excessive unexcused absences may result in a student being withdrawn from the course by the instructor. Withdrawal from a course may affect a student's financial aid.
- For lecture/blended courses, excessive unexcused absences are defined as missing more than 20% of the courses scheduled meeting and are not passing will be dropped by the instructor.
- For an online student to make satisfactory progress in the course, the student must login regularly (at least twice per week) and participate in the assigned learning activities. Students who have not logged in regularly and who are not passing will be dropped by the instructor.
- If a student is withdrawn by the instructor a "WT" (withdrawn by teacher) will be recorded on his/her permanent record. An instructor cannot drop a student who is regularly attending for a below average performance. A faculty member cannot drop a student after the published last day to drop. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Dean. Students who want to drop the course may do so before or on the published last day to drop.
- Student absences for approved college activities will not accrue as excessive unexcused absences. Students will be allowed to make up work before the absence or within one week after returning to class. Students will check with each of their instructors prior to the absence to arrange for makeup times. Activity sponsors will publish a timely list of students who will be absent because of an approved college activity.