Student Employment FAQS
How do I obtain a job on campus?
- Students can apply for Student Worker positions on https://employment.butlercc.edu, the Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and they can complete a Job Skills form with the Financial Aid Office.
- If the online application and Job Skills form has been completed with the Financial Aid Office, the Job Skills form will be attached to the online application for review.
How do I obtain a job off campus?
- Students can check with the Career Services Director for openings off campus, or bulletin boards are updated with off campus job postings around campus.
Where can I find the Employee Handbook?
- The Butler Employee Handbook is available through the Human Resource office or online at http://www.butlercc.edu/downloads/file/589/employee-handbook.
What is Federal Work Study?
- Federal Work Study is a government funded program that gives students the opportunity to work on campus.
- Not all students are eligible for Federal Work Study, and not all students who are eligible for Federal Work Study are guaranteed a job on campus.
How do I apply for Federal Work Study?
- Students can apply for Federal Work Study by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- The student will be offerd Federal Work Study if they meet the eligibility requirements each year they apply. The offer is calculated into the student’s financial aid package through the Financial Aid Office.
Is there summer work study?
- No, there is no summer federal work study (FWS) funding available at this time. FWS offers are limited to the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Other student employment opporunities are available during the summer and posted on the Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
What are the benefits to working on campus?
- Student employees are given an employment opportunity to learn important job skills they cannot learn in the classroom. Student employees are able to work around their class schedule giving them more flexibility for class or homework.
Will my work study earnings affect the amount of financial aid I can receive for the next year?
- Properly reported FWS earnings on the FAFSA will not impact the amount of aid a student can receive for the next aid year.
- FWS earnings should be reported as taxable earnings from need based work programs on the FAFSA so that it is excluded from the calculation performed by FAFSA.
Am I guaranteed a job if I am eligible for Federal Work Study?
- No. Federal Work Study does not guarantee students a job on-campus.
Do I have to work if I am offered Federal Work Study?
- No, students can decline the Federal Work Study offer. If students decline the offer, they will not necessarily be eligible for additional aid.
Where are jobs posted and how do I apply?
- Jobs are posted on the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), https://employment.butlercc.edu, and students can complete a Job Skills form through the Financial Aid office.
- If the student has applied online and through the Financial Aid office, the job skills form will be posted to ATS for review.
Can I apply for multiple jobs on ATS?
- Students can apply for multiple jobs on ATS. However, students may only have one Federal Work Study position and one or more Institutional position.
- The ATS will save the student's application so that they can reapply for future openings.
What is the wage rate for student employees?
- Student employees are paid a minimum wage of $7.25/hour.
When do I get paid?
- Student employees receive a paycheck every two weeks.
How many credit hours is required for employment?
- Student employees must be enrolled in at least 1.0 credit hour during the fall and spring semester(s) to be employed on campus.
- Enrollment is not required for the summer semester. Failure to maintain enrollment during the fall and spring semester(s) will result in termination of employment.
How do I post a job opening?
- Contact Human Resource to post a position on the Applicant Tracking System (ATS).
How do I know if the student is eligible for Federal Work Study?
- The Applicant Tracking System (ATS) will indicate ‘Yes’ if the student is eligible for Federal Work Study or ‘No’ if the student is not eligible for Federal Work Study.
How do I hire a student employee?
- Supervisors must complete a Hiring Proposal through the Applicant Tracking System (ATS). All supervisors must complete supervisor training through Canvas also.
How do I terminate a student employee?
- Supervisors must complete a Separation notice through the Human Resource department.