Things to Consider Before Withdrawing | Butler Community College

Things to Consider Before Withdrawing

Printable Version

Butler wants you to succeed and we understand that choosing to withdraw can be a difficult decision. These questions will help you understand the effects of withdrawing. Please don't hesitate to contact Advising to see what options and/or resources might be available to you.

Have you talked with your instructor and academic advisor?

We strongly recommend that you talk with an academic advisor and your instructor before withdrawing from your classes. Your academic advisor and instructor are the best people to talk with about what impact your withdrawal will have on your academic program and your eligibility to return. Contact Academic Advising.

Is your cumulative GPA below 2.0?

Students who withdraw from Butler with a GPA below 2.0 may not be eligible to return or transfer to another institution, so talking with an academic advisor is especially important if this applies to you. If you’re not sure what your cumulative GPA is, you can find this information through your MyButlerCC account.

Do you have a balance on your accounts?

Settling your account with Accounts Receivable is an important part of the withdrawal process. If the withdrawal does not occur within the “refund period” charges will remain on the student account. You are responsible for the full assessment of charges whether any sessions are attended or not. Having a balance for tuition, fees or other services from Accounts Receivable may make you financially ineligible to register for classes and/or obtain official transcripts. For more information, contact Accounts Receivable

Do you receive Federal Financial Aid?

Depending on when you withdraw, you may be required to repay all or part of the financial aid that has been disbursed for the term. Withdrawing may also make you ineligible for aid in the future semesters, even if you decide to continue your education at another institution. For more information, please contact Financial Aid.

· Do you have any scholarships or grants?

Performing a withdrawal also has the potential to affect current and future scholarship/grant awards. For more general information please contact Financial Aid.

Do you have a hold?

There are many types of holds that are placed on student accounts and records for different circumstances. Each hold prevents basic college privileges, such as, but not limited to the right to register, add/drop classes, and receive copies of unofficial/official transcripts or a diploma. If you are trying to drop classes and you have a hold please contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Are you Military?

Students who need to withdraw or drop courses to enter active military service should do the following: 1) notify Instructor Immediately, 2) touch base with Amy Cyphers, VA Benefits coordinator at 316.322.3102 and 3) contact the Registrar’s Office to properly verify and confirm withdrawal procedures.

Are you an international student?

International students who are withdrawing from Butler are required to meet with an International advisor to review the impact this will have on their immigration status. Contact International Advising

Are you withdrawing because of a personal health issue?

If you are withdrawing because of a personal health issue, you may be eligible for a medical withdrawal. Students who qualify for a medical withdrawal may also submit a tuition refund appeal. For more information about medical withdrawals, please contact the Vice President of Student Services at 316.321.3298. For more information about tuition refunds appeal, please contact the Registrar’s office.

Are you currently receiving ongoing healthcare from Health Services?

Withdrawing from Butler may make you ineligible to use the services provided by Health Services. If this will be an issue for you and you would like more information on this policy, please contact College Health.

Do you live in the residence halls?

If you withdraw from classes, you may become ineligible for campus housing. You will need to see your RA or Director of Residence Life to properly check out of your room. If you would like more information concerning a release from your Housing Leasing Agreement, you can talk with your RA or Director of Residence Life, or contact Residence Life.

Do you use the services provided by the Butler Community College library?

You must be an enrolled student, faculty member, or staff member to check out library materials without paying a fee. For more information, contact the Library.

Do you have an on-campus student job?

If you are not enrolled in classes, then you cannot be employed in a student job. If you have any questions about the status of your on-campus job, contact your supervisor or Human Resources

If you have any further questions about the withdrawal process, please contact the Registrar's Office or the Academic Advising Office for assistance:

Registrar's Office  Academic Advising Office

El Dorado Campus
600 Building

Andover Campus
5000 Building

El Dorado Campus
600 Building 

Andover Campus
5000 Building