Residency | Butler Community College


Residency change paperwork must be completed within the first two weeks of the term. Students that are only enrolled in courses that begin after the main term must complete residency paperwork by the end of the refund period of when the earliest course begins. These change requirements, and the deadline to submit documentation, apply to all students no matter the reason for residency changes (the only exception is for military members/dependents and veterans).

In-State Residency

When enrolling, the student is responsible for indicating the proper residence classification for tuition costs. If there is a question, the student should consult with personnel in the Registrar’s Office, or with registration personnel at other sites. Residency status is determined by procedures consistent with Kansas statutes. Copies of these statutes are available in the Registrar’s Office. Generally, residency is determined by length of residence - minimum of six months of established residency in Kansas and three or more of the following with dated six months prior to the semester involved:

a. Kansas registration of automobile
b. Payment of Kansas personal property tax
c. Kansas Voter registration
d. Kansas Job verification or Kansas school attendance
e. Kansas driver’s license
f. Six months of Kansas rent or six months of Kansas utility receipts
g. Notarized statement from a Kansas resident verifying that student has resided with him or her for six months

To change residency, students must complete the Affidavit of Residency and provide three of the items from the list above by the first day of the semester involved. Documentation provided must indicate dates at least six months prior to the first day of the semester involved.

Special Circumstances

  1. Military: As of July 1, 2015 per Kansas House Bill 2154 the following will apply to current members of the armed forces, veterans, spouses, and dependent children of current armed forces members and veterans.

    •  Current Members of the Armed Forces: Deemed residents of the state for  tuition and fee purposes. (Provide a copy of your military ID card at the time of admission/enrollment.)

    •  Veterans:  Entitled to pay tuition and fees at in-state rates if:
         a) you file a letter of intent to establish residence in Kansas
         b) you live in Kansas while attending or
         c) you are eligible (do not have to be receiving) for benefits under the federal post-9/11 veterans educational assistance act or any other federal law authorizing benefits for veterans. (Provide a copy of your DD-214 or NG-15 at the time of admission/enrollment.)

    • Spouses and Dependents of Current Members of the Armed Forces:  Deemed residents of the state for tuition and fee purposes (Provide a copy of the current member’s military ID card and a copy of your dependent/spouse ID card at the time of                              admission/enrollment)

    • Spouses and Dependents of Veterans:  Eligible to pay in-state rates at Butler (Provide a copy of the veteran’s DD-214 or NG-15 at the time of admission/enrollment)

  2. Domiciliary Residence: If Kansas residency was established due to recruitment or transfer for full-time employment, e-mail the Registrar’s Office for information regarding Domiciliary Residency.

  3. Undocumented: Beginning July 1, 2004, Kansas House Bill No. 2145 is a Kansas law that allows students without legal immigration status and students with a legal, non-permanent immigration status to receive the in-state tuition rate when they satisfy the requirements of the law. Undocumented students must meet the following:
    1. Students must reside in Kansas for a minimum of six months prior to the first day of classes of the semester in which they intend to enroll.
    2. Submit to the Registrar’s Office: an accredited Kansas high school transcript showing three years attendance and graduation or Kansas high school transcript showing three years attendance and Kansas GED transcript. 
    3. Submit a completed Butler HB-2145 Affidavit.
  4. International Students: All international students attending Butler on a non-immigrant visa are subject to international student tuition and fee rates.

Appeal for Residency

If a student disagrees with his/her classification as a nonresident for tuition costs, he/she may file a written appeal within 30 days with the Registrar’s Office. The payment of tuition as originally assessed shall be a condition to the right to appeal residency classification. Failure to file an appeal within the time and manner specified makes classification by the Registrar’s Office final. For additional information, call 316.322.3123 or direct 316.733.3123 from the Wichita Metro area or e-mail