GED Test FAQ | Butler Community College

Planned System Upgrades

Due to planned system upgrades, DegreeWorks will be down tonight and tomorrow, and Banner will be unavailable starting Friday night and will last until the Sunday night.


How will I benefit from a State of Kansas High School Diploma?

The overwhelming majority of jobs in the United States require a high school diploma. A State of Kansas High School Diploma is accepted by employers.

A State of Kansas High School Diploma is accepted at most colleges and universities across the country as proof that you have completed your high school education. Some colleges, including Butler, even have special scholarship programs for graduates.

By earning their diploma, many graduates experience a remarkable improvement in how they feel about themselves and their lives. It makes a difference!

Income increases with your level of education. A better job usually means better pay. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, over a lifetime a GED graduate will earn $200,000 more than a high school dropout.

Educated parents have better educated children. Earning a State of Kansas High School Diploma isn't only an investment in yourself, it is an investment in the future of your children. 

Am I eligible to take the GED tests?

You are eligible to take the tests IF you are not enrolled in and have not graduated from high school and are over 16 years of age. If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, you must have a disclaimer from the school district of your current residence to be eligible.

What if I need testing accommodations?

If you have a documented disability that could keep you from taking the GED tests in the way they are usually given, you might be entitled to receive testing accommodations.

Accommodations are available for people with (but not limited to) the following:


  • Physical disabilities such as blindness, low vision, deafness, impaired hearing or mobility impairments
  • Learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, receptive aphasia or written language disorder
  • Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Psychological disabilities such as Bipolar disorder or Tourette's syndrome
  • Chronic health issues

If you have a disability that can be documented by a qualified professional, you should contact the local GED Examiner to request the proper forms at least six to eight weeks prior to the scheduled test date. The GED Examiner will explain the process required to request testing accommodations. Each request is considered on an individual basis. There is no additional testing cost for accommodations. 

What are the fees?

There is a $30 material fee for each semester of ABE enrollment. The Official GED test has a fee of $33 per subject area or $132 for the entire test battery.

Is there a graduation?

If you successfully pass the GED exam by April 15, you will be eligible to participate in Butler's commencement ceremony in May. Many students choose to attend commencement as this may be the first time they are honored for their academic achievements.