The first thing you need to know is that not everyone needs to take a placement test. Take a look at the list of ACT and SAT scores below. If you have taken either of these tests and received scores at these levels or higher, you do not need to take a Placement Test.
ACT Scores (within the last three years)
- English - 18
- Reading - 15
- Math - 21
SAT Scores (within the last three years)
- Writing - 430
- Reading - 450
- Math - 500
If you are transferring from another college and have completed Math and English course requirements, you may be able to enroll without a Placement Test.
The next thing you need to know about Placement Testing is that we do it to help you succeed in your course work at Butler. You are required to take the Placement Test if you don’t meet the requirements above. However, we only use the results to help us identify any areas where you would benefit from some additional instruction.
Online Study Guides - Math & English
Preparing for the placement test is highly recommended to ensure accurate placement into English and Math Courses and could potentially save you time and money.
- Download the free Study App at www.accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students IMPORTANT: Please use this link to download the study app to avoid being asked for personal information and payment information!
- Contact Adult Education 316.733.6079 or Advising for the next ACCUPLACER Test Prep Seminar.
What is the Placement Test?
The ASSET test is a timed paper/pencil test. The ACCUPLACER test is a computer test that is not timed. Each test is made up of three sections: reading, writing and math. Allow at least two hours to complete all three sections of the ACCUPLACER/ASSET test. Any high school student wishing to enroll who does not have ACT or SAT scores on file is required to take all three sections of the ACCUPLACER/ASSET test.
Where can I take a Placement Test?
Placement Testing occurs at multiple locations in Butler County and Sedgwick County. For information on where and when to take your test, visit the Testing Center Hours and Locations page.
*Note: Academic course testing hours are different than Placement testing hours. Please check with the testing site to confirm the date and time you would like to complete your placement test.
When you arrive to take your test:
- Check in at Academic Advising and complete the necessary forms to take the test.
- Go to Accounts Receivable (AR) and pay the $15 test fee.* (The fee is $25 if you are taking the test to attend a school other than Butler.)
- Present an official photo ID and your AR receipt to the test administrator.
- Take the Placement Test.
*Please keep your receipt for the placement testing fee. If you do not show the receipt, you will not be allowed to test.
Can I retake a Placement Test?
Please review our Placement Retesting Policy. Studying for the placement test is highly recommended to ensure accurate placement in English and Math classes.