Certified Nurse Aide
Prepare for a career giving care to others with a variety of course schedules to fit your needs.
A great deal of the day-to-day care provided in nursing homes, assisted living communities and other long-term care settings are performed by a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA). While you are working under supervision of licensed nurses, the role you play in residents' healthcare puts you in the best position to get to know them and keep a close watch on their condition.
Butler's comprehensive CNA program prepares you to take the exam developed by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS). Our formula for small class sizes and instructors who work closely with students has produced a pass rate of more than 95 percent for the state certification exam. Some students continue their education in the Patient Care Pathways program, while others begin careers as Nurse Aides.
ICYMI: Certified Nurse Aide is Eligible for the Kansas Promise Scholarship + Butler Advantage
Kicking off 2021, students qualifying for the Kansas Promise Scholarship can now go after their CNA training and have their costs for tuition, fees and books paid for by the state. That’s right – tuition, fees and books at no out-of-pocket cost. This revolutionary $10 million program only gets better with the Butler Advantage – quality microsoft office education respected by employers. Get the Butler Advantage! Visit our Kansas Promise Act webpage to review scholarship qualifications, learn about the application process, and check out other eligible programs.
Prerequisites for Certified Nurse Aide (AH 122, 5 credit hours)
- Students are required to take the ASSET exam.
- Bring the following on the first day of class:
- Copy of tuberculosis test current within one year or chest x-ray current within five years.
- Completed copy of Health Record (Physical and TB form)
- Copy of social security card.
- Copy of Covid vaccine record or an exemption form (contact the instructor for the exemption form prior to class start date).
- CNA students will need to wear a purple scrub top and khaki or black scrub bottoms. These can be purchased at the Bookstore or at a place of your choice. Shoes should be closed toe and closed heel. (Students attending class at Marion or Council Grove need to check with the instructor before purchasing a uniform).
- Each student must pay a fee for the state exam. This is collected with tuition.
- Textbook(s) are available at Butler Bookstores located in El Dorado, Andover, Marion and Council Grove
* Nurse Aide classes may be required to meet during the day, evening, or on weekends.
Classes You Take:
State Exam for CNA
Allied Health will notify you of your state testing date and time. You must successfully complete the AH 122 Certified Nurse Aide course with a C or above before you are eligible to take the exam. The state exam is regulated and written by the Kansas Department of Aging & Disabilities Services.
The cost of the exam is collected with your tuition payment. All fees are nonrefundable.
Questions about the state exam may be addressed to the following:Health Occupations Credentialing, KDADS
503 S. Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603-3404
Phone: 785.296.6958 Fax: 785.296.3075 www.kdads.ks.gov