DO I NEED TESTING?
Placement testing is used to determine which English and math classes you will take.
English (Writing and/or Reading) testing will not be required if:
- You have already taken English Composition 1 for college credit
- You have an ACT of 18 in English and 15 in Reading or SAT 480 in Combined Writing and Reading within the last 3 years
- You have a high school GPA of 3.0 or above within the last 6 years
Math testing will not be required if:
- You have already taken College Algebra for college credit
- You have an ACT of 21 in Math or SAT of 530 within the last 3 years
- You have a high school GPA of 3.7 or above with an A in Algebra II within the last 3 years
Other forms of accepted placement include Advanced Placement (AP) with appropriate test score and recent Workkeys test scores
- ACCUPLACER assesses your skill levels in reading and writing to determine if you’re ready to take classes that will earn you college credit. If you show proficiency in a subject, you won’t have to take developmental classes and can start earning college credits right away that count toward a degree or certificate. The ACCUPLACER test is on the computer and is untimed.
- MMPA (My Math Plan Assessment) is Butler’s own Math diagnostic placement test. An advisor will determine the appropriate test based on information you provide (see above). Most students start with MMPA #2 which covers class material from Fundamentals of Algebra (developmental) and Intermediate Algebra. The MMPA is on the computer and takes an average of 90 minutes to complete.
- ACCUPLACER ESL (English as a second language) helps place English learners in appropriate classes. This assessment tool has five components: Sentence Meaning, Language Use, Reading Skills, Listening, and WritePlacer ESL. This test is on the computer and is not timed.
PREPARING TO TEST:
Preparing for the placement test is highly recommended to ensure accurate placement into English and math classes and could potentially save you time and money.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHERE/WHEN CAN I TEST?
All placement testing is by appointment only.
|Butler of Andover||Butler of El Dorado|
|Butler Service Center||Butler Flint Hills|
2626 S. Rock Road
701 E. Main St.
131 W. Main St.
HOW DO I SCHEDULE AN ON-SITE PLACEMENT TEST?
If testing, schedule with Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Butler of Andover: 316.323.6245 or Butler of El Dorado: 316.322.3223. You can also schedule testing at our Andover campus via PickTime online.
CAN I TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST REMOTELY?
- To schedule a remote placement test, contact Advising at email@example.com or call 316.323.6259.
- You will need a photo ID and computer with a camera and microphone to take a remote placement test.
CAN I TAKE THE TEST MORE THAN ONE TIME?
- Students will be allowed to retest for Writing and/or Reading after a one week waiting period, not to exceed a maximum of five retests in a year cycle. There will be a $5 fee per retested section.
- Students will be allowed to retest for Math (MMPA) after a four -week waiting period, not to exceed a maximum of five retests in a year cycle. There will be a $5 fee per retest.