Online Writing Lab (OWL)
How to Submit Your Writing
Editor responses take 48 business hours from the 12:00pm (noon) deadline, Monday through Friday. Papers submitted on the weekend (after 12:00pm Friday-Sunday) will be returned by the following Wednesday by 12:00pm. Please plan ahead so that we can best help you.
First, enroll in the course:
- Log in to your Canvas account and navigate to a course page (you cannot view the OWL button from the Canvas homepage).
- Click the “Online Writing Lab” link which will appear to the left of your screen with other course navigation links, such as “Modules” and “Syllabus”.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and enter your student information to enroll in the course.
- Once you are enrolled, consider clicking on your “Courses” dropdown (in the top left of your screen) and selecting “View all or customize” to add the OWL to your favorites.
Once enrolled, to submit a paper:
- In the header of your paper, please include the following information:
- The student's name
- The course name
- The teacher's name
- Specific details of how we can help you (please look at my thesis and evidence; please help me with my comma splices; please make suggestions for organizing my paper ... ). You may upload a second document with assignment specifications or a rubric as well.
- Be sure your paper is saved in .docx, .doc, or PDF format. The assignment page will not accept other formats.
- Log in to your Canvas account and navigate to the OWL course.
- Navigate to “Modules”.
- Click on the assignment page you wish to submit to. Please keep in mind that there are five assignment pages each week, one for each weekday. Each assignment page is listed with the due date and the return date.
- All assignment pages for the coming week are opened Friday at 12:00.
- Please keep in mind that the OWL can only accept so many submissions per semester due to funding and staffing, so assignment pages may close before the due date if we get too many submissions. To be sure your paper is reviewed in time for your due date, submit early.
- Click the "submit Assignment" button in the upper right hand corner of the assignment page.
- Click "Choose File", select the file you want to upload, and click the "open" button. If you have additional instructions or comments, please type them into the comments box.
- Once you have selected a file and typed in any comments, click the blue "Submit Assignment" button.
- If you have successfully submitted the file, the next screen will say "Submission: Turned in" in the upper right hand corner along with a green check mark.